Sunday, October 28, 2007

Blogging about Anime

Henceforth of this inaugural post, this blog shall be where I post my thoughts, feelings, ruminations, reviews, and the like regarding visual culture.  This will mostly concern anime, but in all will cover television, movies, and comics, both animated and live-action, from Japan or America or anywhere on Earth that catches my eye.

The title and url of the blog are derived from Latin.  Animatum, from the root word Animatus, the fourth principle part of the Latin verb Animo, whence comes our word Animate.  It means "to breathe life into, to inspire, to animate, to bring to life."  Anima itself can mean "spirit" or "mind," or the like.  I hope to lend an intellectual, if not downright metaphysical, weight to my writings about that which the more ignorant may deem "cartoons and funnybooks."  And what better, more well-tested, more widely-abused way than to use Latin?  Just a little bit of pretensious wankery I hope you will grant me as a writer.

Forthcoming:  Actual posts!

No comments: